[SGVLUG] PIX Logging to syslog

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 16:04:33 PDT 2007

so which machine did you reboot?  The FW or the syslog server?  Is Pix
a brand or or model?  Did you change the if-eth0 on the FW or server?

If you had to change the IP on the server and the FW was sending to
the wrong IP, then consider using a broadcast address.  You'll be able
to capture the logs on any machine on the same subnet w/o having to
touch the FW.   This makes it easy to migrate to a new server - you
can have as many as you want running at the same time, all capturing
the logs.   Remember that UDP isn't as expensive as TCP which has the
overhead of setting up and tearing down connections.

claude