[SGVLUG] PIX Logging to syslog

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 10:18:21 PDT 2007

On 4/2/07, Joel Witherspoon <joel.witherspoon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Are you sure you restarted syslogd after modifying your config files?
>
> Yep. Several times. Ran syslog -d as well. It doesn't show as writing to a
> file.
>
> Do you have a local local firewall on your receiving server?  I use
> shorewall so I had to add an explicit rule to allow udp 514 packets.
>
> Took iptables down. SELinux isn't even installed. I can see the UDP traffic
> coming in, but I can't get it to write to file.

[snip]

Okay, just going through a check list here.  Are you sure there is
space on the device?  Permission problems?  mounted read-only?

perhaps there's an error in your config file.  Are any of the other
logs being updated?  Here's are my entries for my router:

## log router messages
local6.*
-/var/log/router.log
local6.* /dev/tty11

I believe the dash prefixed to the filename means syslogd should flush
after each write to prevent messages from getting lost during a crash.
 Probably not needed and should not be used for a high rate log.

regarding iptables.  with shorewall, even if you shut it down, it
still leaves some default rules that filter things out.  Have you
tried a simple reboot?  Perhaps something else got hosed?

claude