[SGVLUG] Disabling LILO

Mic Chow zen at netten.net
Tue Sep 26 18:24:41 PDT 2006

Are you trying to just duplicate/transfer the Windows partition of the
30 Gig to the new 100 Gig hard disk?  Are you planning on keeping both
the 30 Gig and the 100 Gig drive in that computer?  As I understand your
original e-mail you have a Linux partition on the 30 Gig drive and that
does not need to be transfered; is this correct?  You don't have any
data that you want to access on the Linux partition, right?  The
suggestion of using a MS-DOS boot disk and using fdisk /mbr at the DOS
prompt will make the computer only boot to the Windows partition and the
system will no longer see the Linux partition unless you run a LILO
repair.  Do you have a bootable CD version of Windows 98, if so then you
can boot from that CD and pick Option 2 (I think that is the boot from
CD and add the tools, but not install Windows98) then at the prompt you
should be able to type in the command fdisk /mbr.  The prompt will
return looking like it did nothing; from that point, eject the CD and
reboot.  The system should now only boot to the Windows partition.  You
can create a Boot Floppy from within Windows XP, but fdisk is no longer
included as a command line tool in XP.  I believe that there are FreeDOS
version of fdisk on the Internet, but I don't know the specific sites to
get them.  (Folks of the community, can you help her locate this)  From
this point your application from Maxtor to duplicate the data from the
30 Gig to 100 Gig drive should work correctly.  After that is done, then
you should be able to use your favorite distro of Linux and create the
needed partitions and re-install Linux.

Hope this helps.  Good Luck

Mic
North Hollywood, CA