[SGVLUG] scanning windows systems for viruses from live-CD's

Jeff Keys jskeys at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 13:32:33 PDT 2006

Hi Tom,

Try the INSERT LiveCD. It's based on Knoppix, has clamav and lots of
other nice tools. Last ime I checked, it was under 50 Mb.
http://www.inside-security.de/INSERT_en.html

Another alternative is using the Live Installer in regular Knoppix to
install F-Prot (you need an internet connection so Knoppix can get
it.)

Third option, too much work unless you are going to do a lot of
this--build your own Knoppix variant with wine, AVG antivirus for
Windows, Spybot S&D, maybe AdAware. I did this a couple years ago
after spending hours cleaning up 700 viruses and 450 trojans using
only AVG, Spybot, Regedit, and a hex editor on Windows98 for a step
cousin-in-law once removed. Making the CD was therapeutic after that.

I miss you guys. I am now living in Mission Viejo, and it's tough to
make it to Cal Tech.

Jeff Keys