[SGVLUG] linux w/o broadband

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Fri Sep 22 07:58:25 PDT 2006

Claude Felizardo wrote:
>  Can anyone recommend a linux distro that doesn't require broadband
>  access to complete the installation?

I've often found myself in this situation, and I've used the complete
Debian distribution, which is enormous.  Either 2 DVDs or about
15 or so CDs (binary -- about the same again for the source if you
want it).

The Debian site has links to vendors for the actual CDs.

You do have to be a little carfeful about sources -- I've gotten some
disks that weren't very readable (of course, it could be my CD-ROM
drive more than the disks), because of course, these are usually
CDRs or DVD±Rs really.

Regarding Ubuntu -- Ubuntu is a smaller distribution, which is better
configured (especially for newish desktop users).  Ubuntu uses quite
a few of the same packages as Debian, though, so it might work (but
I haven't tried it), to get both a complete Debian distribution and the
Ubuntu disks, and then scan both during the installation (I think it's
"apt-cdrom" or something similar that you run to do this if you don't
have the option during installation -- probably from the "apt-utils"
package).

That way you could install Ubuntu, but get extra packages
from Debian proper as you need them.

Given that the system is for a "CS Major", I'm guessing all of this
is well with her ability, anyway.

Cheers,
Terry