[SGVLUG] FC repository searches

Jeff Carlson jeff at ultimateevil.org
Tue Sep 12 17:04:49 PDT 2006

Dustin Laurence wrote:
> Beyond that, I can't help you.  I'm guessing that you ran Sid and I
> haven't really used Sid extensively (because I tended to run Gentoo in
> places where Sid made sense), though this may change.  You probably
> dist-upgrade Sid a lot more often, but even there I doubt you should
> just do it randomly.  I gather the GCC 3 -> GCC 4 C++ ABI transition was
> rough and needed some care, and probably wouldn't happen on any
> individual machine until you actually did 'dist-upgrade'.

If dist-upgrade is only for upgrading between releases, then why is
there always something available to be dist-upgraded?  If the release
schedule is every 18 months, then it should only have something
available every 18 months.  That makes sense to me.

> I have old RedHat Disks from the 5.x series somewhere, and some labeled
> x.3, but I can't remember individual releases.  Perhaps I remember 6.3,
> if that existed.

I think there was a Mandrake 6.3.  The only X.Y for RedHat where Y got
to 3 was X=7.  There was also 3.0.3, but a very different beast.

> I think before the 5 series I tended to just borrow installation media,
> so I don't have anything earlier than that laying around (and I hope I
> didn't clean out RH 5 in an office cleanup--they're kinda neat to have
> now).

The cool thing about 5.x was that it was the last libc5 version.  That
means it can run WordPerfect for Linux, if you have that.