[SGVLUG] FC repository searches

Jeff Carlson jeff at ultimateevil.org
Tue Sep 12 15:46:56 PDT 2006

Dustin Laurence wrote:
> Er, I'm going to reconsider "pilot error."  AFAIK you can't do
> "dist-upgrade" without planning.  I wouldn't do it without checking some
> release notes.  I don't think I'm going to blame Knoppix unless 'apt-get
> upgrade' failed.

Well then why do I always hear Debian users talking about
"dist-upgrade?"  And why is it every time I did "upgrade," I got back a
list of packages that were "held back?"

I don't know why Debian is saying stuff that reminds me of the slow kid
in elementary school who had to repeat the 2nd grade, but yum never
holds back.  Packages ready for upgrade just upgrade.

> Eventually...but there was a very unsettling gap.

I never even noticed it.

> You know the joke about people saying "I run Linux 5.3", meaning that
> there is a huge crowd of people that don't even realize that there is a
> difference between RHL and Linux?  The newer people don't even get the
> joke anymore.  I think understanding the joke and the fact that it isn't
> current anymore explains almost everything about the "big deal."

Except there never was a RHL version 5.3, only 5.2, but yeah, they would
say things like Linux 9.  I even responded, "I'm still using Linux 2.4,
I'd like to see your time machine."