[SGVLUG] FC repository searches

Jeff Carlson jeff at ultimateevil.org
Mon Sep 11 18:54:37 PDT 2006

Dustin Laurence wrote:
> I haven't ever tried it from Knoppix for the reason stated, but I have
> from DSL and though it claims to install as Debian it had apt-get
> issues.  In any case, I've never heard of a problem starting from a
> genuine Debian install, so the circumstantial evidence is that either
> Knoppix isn't a good way to install Debian or you botched the install.
> I'm guessing the former.

Given the profound lack of options in the latter (a dialog which reads,
"do you want to continue?  [YES] [No]."), then the former stands to reason.

> I know it can be done, I've even met people (OK, I think one person) who
> get away with doing an upgrade rather than a re-install.  I'm talking
> about what people *usually* do and trust the system to do.  So give me
> another data point--how often do you actually upgrade with yum?  On a
> desktop?  On a server you care about?

I have to be honest, the most recent installations I have done have
either been new computers or replacing failed HDs.  But I have a few
which I'm planning to go to FC6 that way, including this laptop.

> Well, it'll work until and unless RH ever feels it's rice-bowl is
> threatened.  Then Fedora will become even more "bleeding edge" or
> something.  Hopefully it won't ever happen.

The only constant is change.  Fedora has already changed in major ways
about three times so far.  Fortunately RedHat's backing of it and
continuing to provide developer support has remained constant since it
started.

RedHat has always drank its own Kool-Aid.  Everything they have
acquired, and everything they have written in house, they have always
open-sourced, at least that's my recollection.  Whether those items be
their Anaconda installer, all the system-config-* utilities, or major
things like GFS and Netscape's LDAP server, they've kept that much up at
least.  I believe they will continue to support Fedora because it is a
symbiotic relationship, and they base their commercial product on what
happens there.

I'm still curious to see what's going to happen with JBoss, especially
given their inability to ship Sun's JDK.

>> I wonder if this thread will ever die a normal death.
>
> Why should it, if it's interesting?  Given that I'm likely to be running
> Fedora soon, I'm happy to learn some of the less technical things about
> it.

I just wonder if others get sick of the purely theoretical outlook of
threads like this.  There isn't a black and white question being
answered.  We just keep going back and forth on opinion.  It's only
interesting on an intellectual level.  At least it's not about
bio-diesel this time.  :)