[SGVLUG] Idea for Thursday: Stump the Chumps

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Mon Sep 11 15:48:14 PDT 2006

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 02:48:32PM -0700, Emerson, Tom wrote:

> > Since it's kind of variety night, we could play a round of
> > "Stump the Chumps" (someone will recognize the reference).
>
> Since I didn't directly recognize it, I did a search...
>
> Lots of variants, it seems...

I got it from Car Talk on NPR.  It's possible they got it somewhere
else, but the name is characteristically Car Talk.

>   -- another was a blogger willing to take on "any" question (though it
> takes a bit of effort to find his answers)

There is only *one* Cecil Adams, all the rest are posers.

>   -- another was a minister who got stumped by the following:
>      kids: how can more than one religion be right?
>      Minister: they can't all be right, suppose I point out Fred's shirt
> is yellow, but you say it's blue -- either I'm right and you're wrong,
> you're right and I'm wrong, or somehow we're both wrong
>      kids: ahh, to you, his shirt may be what you believe to be yellow,
> yet to us it is what we believe to be blue, thus we're both right

If he was stumped by that then he should ask for his money back from
seminary. :-)

> Here's one -- how does one actually go about recovering from a backup?
>
> (this gets into a chicken-and-egg sort of problem; especially when the
> backup was made with the prior release, or better still, a different
> distro entirely)

Do you have a machine with this exact problem?  Is it something we can
either fix or hose completely live in front of witnesses at the meeting?

Dustin