[SGVLUG] FC repository searches

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Sun Sep 10 21:18:06 PDT 2006

On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 08:22:54PM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:

> Also, I've been using Debian since 1998, and I have no idea what
> direction it is heading in, and I'm not familiar with the internal
> politics of Fedora to know what its direction is.  Can you elaborate?

Essentially, Fedora is whatever Red Hat, Incorporated, says it is.
Debian is whatever the Debian devs say it is.  Everything else (such as
communities, foundations, users, and the like) is there so you won't pay
any mind to the little men behind the curtains. :-)  Most anything
strange about their decisions can be understood better by keeping that
in mind.

We could extend this to other distros:

Linux is: whatever Linus says it is.

Fedora is: whatever Red Hat, Inc. says it is.

SuSE is: whatever Novell's stockholders dictated this month.

Debian is: whatever the Devs say it is.

Gentoo is: whatever the teen-age devs say it is, you moronic lamer.

Mandrake, er, Mandriva is: you can pay the money, but you still won't
find out.

Slackware is: whatever gets Patrick Volkerding the simplest, most stable
OS.

Linspire is: whatever gets Michael Robertson the most press coverage.

Knoppix is: why not just pop it in the drive and find out?

Microsoft Windows(TM) is: why not buy a $250 disk and find out?

Microsoft Vista is: why not buy a $2500 computer and find out?

DSL is: whatever can run on hardware not even a museum would take.

The HURD is: still on track for release in time to control the USS
Enterprise, if no further schedule slippages occur.

Emacs is: whatever the holy St. iGNUtius has revealed to us.

BSD is: whatever Berkeley said it was...in 1981.

NetBSD is: great on toasters, but you'll never meet someone actually
running it on their desktop.

OpenBSD is: the solution to whatever Theo is ranting about this month.

FreeBSD is: still really angry that Linux stole it's rightful place.

VMS is: whatever DEC thought would hold back the Unix tide.

AmigaOS is: whatever it's aging fanboys imagine they still remember.

I feel bad that I might not have insulted something one of our members
is currently running, but I tried.

Dustin