[SGVLUG] Need help with clearing popups from windows system

Alex Roston tungtung at pacbell.net
Tue Sep 5 23:51:51 PDT 2006

I haven't fiddled much with Windows since Win98, but at that time
reinstalling windows was the key to fixing everything. It would look
around the hard drive and find files it knows about, and install them in
the registry so you wouldn't have problems. Since then, MS has gone the
"System restore" route so they don't have to include Windoze disks with
every OEM system, and can force people to buy Windoze disks separately.
I don't think they've they've buggered up the "fix by reinstalling"
process in service of this policy.

At this point (WinXP) well behaved Windows apps store their per-user
settings in the "Documents and Settings" directory, which is
more-or-less equivalent to the "home" directory in Linux, so you won't
find application information stored all over the hard drive, unless:

1.) It's a one user, (or at least one login) machine.

2.) The user is an Administrator

3.) The user overwrites system settings such that their application data
is not stored in the "Documents and Settings" folder in the
"Administrator" subfolder.

or

4.) The system is a legacy system that's been upgraded from
3.1/'95/98/ME and stuff is all over the drive even though modern Windows
systems prohibit this.

But Windows does not keep user files on a separete partition.

Alex