[SGVLUG] Proprietary Binary Smackdown

Christopher Smith x at xman.org
Mon Sep 4 23:47:00 PDT 2006

John E. Kreznar wrote:
> The confusion comes in because historically ESR has been the author
> and chief spokesman for open source, from which it could be argued
> that any position that he takes would have be consistent with open
> source, by definition.
Yeah, the key thing to keep in mind was that the strategy and the term
were coined by a group of folks, and ESR was just the one who took on
the task of being the "spokesmodel". ;-) It's worth noting that ESR has
stepped down from his role of president of OSI, so I'm not sure it is
fair to consider his views as representative of OSI or open source in
general. Indeed, I believe he has stated that this is not exactly a
popular point of view.

--Chris