[SGVLUG] Need help with clearing popups from windows system

jmd jmd8800 at charter.net
Mon Sep 4 12:16:33 PDT 2006

On Sep 4, 2006, at 10:17 AM, Emerson, Tom wrote:

> This is ironic -- I've been so engrossed in linux and such, that now
> when someone asks about a windows system I'm as much in the dark as
> most
> call center workers in india... ;)

i am in the same boat with my sons computer when he needs help.

> Seriously, though, my mother has run into a problem with an annoying
> popup.  All the off-the-shelf tools (and windows-oriented rootkit
> eradicators) "don't find a problem", yet popups are still occuring.  I
> took things a step further than these tools and tossed ethereal on the
> system and watched what happened.

i read recently (maybe slashdot) that the standard virus scans and
adware tools are loosing ground. many newer trojans and virus are
going undetected in windows systems. my son uses both ad-aware and
mcafee and has pretty good luck so far.

here is a link that might be helpful:

http://www.its.caltech.edu/its/security/users/windows_messenger.shtml

jeff