[SGVLUG] kde / networkmanager deamon question

Tom Emerson osnut at pacbell.net
Sat Sep 2 21:01:56 PDT 2006

Under SuSE 10, and probably highly KDE dependant, there is now a "network
manager" system tray application.  It works reasonably well keeping track of
wireless networks you encounter, but I'm running into a problem with a new
USB-based wireless (g) card

The device is a Belkin, probably one of the "least expensive" ones (I figured
I'd start cheap, and if it didn't work return to fry's and get the next
higher-priced one..)  Turns out it is semi-detected out of the box
(/var/log/messages does identify it) but "nothing happens"

A quick google search later and I find a page that has explicit directions.
Turns out there are three possible chipsets for this, and the "only way to
tell" is to look at the windows CD included to see what driver they
included...

looks like this is the "zd1211b" version.  The page had a link to the drivers
and a note to set REVISION_B=1 in the makefile and you should be good to go.

well, the system DOES recognize it far better, but apparently it "kills" the
background "networkmanager" daemon,  When using "user-managed" wireless
networking, the commands "rcnetwork start/stop/restart" launches three
background daemons.  Plugging in the device kills one of them (silently)
which in turn prevents even normal network management.

How can I find out what error, if any, is being generated?  In other words:

traveller:~ # rcnetwork status
Checking for the NetworkManager:                                     running
Checking for the NetworkManagerDispatcher:                           running
Checking for the DHCP DBUS Daemon:                                   running

plugging in the device kills the first process above. (status reports "dead")

how or where would I find out the reason for it's death?  (error messages?
they don't show in  /var/log/messages)