[SGVLUG] Re: We have a speaker for December

Matthew Gallizzi matthew.gallizzi at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 13:48:28 PST 2006

SPEAKER FOR DECEMBER

I got a speaker for December ... blurb below. My two cents: This is a GREAT
speaker. I've seen him myself and he was very motivational and overall just
awesome. He was at SCALE last year and gave a talk on "How to Be a
Consultant" for those of you who went to that...

(Mike/Tom - if you could put this on the site that'd be awesome, and Mike,
if we could have the streaming stuff done for this that'd be awesomer :D)

As with every big speaker, let's hype this up guys. Unfortunately, I won't
be able to make it to the LUG this Thursday (father's birthday) ... but
start the hype early, let's get a good (*cough* heated *cough*) crowd ;)

Why Linux needs to be more like Windows

 -or-

Impediments to enterprise Linux adoption

Our speaker is Steve Friedl, a software consultant in Orange County
who's been using UNIX since the early eighties, using Windows since the
late eighties, and has more than 20 years of cross-platform consulting
and commercial software development experience. He has taught advanced
C/UNIX at Bell Labs, and is the only Microsoft MVP with "unix" in his
domain name (unixwiz.net).

He'll be making the case that Linux has some stumbling blocks that make
enterprise management and deployment much more difficult than they need
to be, and what road there might be to make some progress on these fronts.

P.S. Steve told me something about having a Linux registry...

--
Matthew Gallizzi