[SGVLUG] Starting a Java Study Group.

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 17:24:40 PST 2006

On 11/2/06, Mike Fedyk <mfedyk at mikefedyk.com> wrote:
> Claude Felizardo wrote:
> > Would anyone be interested in seeing a Java based microcontroller?
> > I'm usually busy on the weekends but was thinking of bringing my TINI
> > to the devsig meeting but only if there's interest.  Otherwise I was
> > thinking of going to the Pomona computer show so please let me know
> > asap so i can purchase discount tickets before sat.
> >

> Is it that one with blue light going back and forth kinda like knight
> rider (but blue of course)?  If so, I'd pass.  I saw it at uuasc and
> it's not much to talk about.  Didn't even communicate with the other
> device at the time either.

I don't know what you saw but the one I have has an ethernet
controller built in so you can use telnet, ftp and a web browser to
connect to it.  It's currently running a java program that monitors
temperature sensors and creates a simple web page with the current
measurements.   If you connect via telnet or serial console port it
has the following commands:

  addc           append         arp            cat
  cd             chmod          chown          copy
  cp             date           del            df
  dir            downserver     echo           ftp
  gc             genlog         help           history
  hostname       ipconfig       java           kill
  ls             md             mkdir          move
  mv             netstat        nslookup       passwd
  ping           ps             pwd            rd
  reboot         rm             rmdir          sendmail
  setenv         source         startserver    stats
  stopserver     su             touch          useradd
  userdel        wall           wd             who
  whoami

The shell is written in Java which is why I thought it might be
appropriate to this particular devsig meeting.

If I can load the development environment on my laptop I might be able
to make the green LED blink if you want.

I have the original Dallas DS80C390 which is based on the 8051
microcontroller and is mounted on a TILT dev board from systronix.
The specs for the 400 is available at the maxium site who bought out
Dallas a few years ago.

http://www.maxim-ic.com/TINIplatform.cfm
http://www.systronix.com/tini/tilt.htm

claude