[SGVLUG] used memory on a 4 GB system.

James Neff jneff at tethyshealth.com
Thu Nov 2 06:27:42 PST 2006

Thank you everyone who responded.  Your posts were very informative and
helped me to understand Linux memory management.

To my ignorance, I had no idea what the cached and buffers were in the
top printout, which is why I freaked out when I saw nearly all memory used.

This machine is mostly a mySQL database that will be expecting many
(thousands per minute) small connections (not much data between client
and database).  There are scores of articles on how to optimize the
mySQL configuration for this sort of operation.

Is there anything on the systems administration side I should be doing?

I've already turned off most of the other services that
came standard (sendmail, ftp, bluetooth, X windows, etc) that I won't be
using on this server.

Thanks again,
James