[SGVLUG] home automation from x10

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Wed May 31 13:55:36 PDT 2006

While giving a talk on Home Automation three years ago this month, I
demonstrated the Active Home and Firecracker kits based on the X10
protocol.  Yeah, they're pretty much the same guys with the sleezy
webcam pop-under ads but they are also known for producing and selling
relatively inexpensive home automation components.

Since then they've come out with their new "PRO" version that replaces
the original serial port interface with USB, more memory, built-in
wireless, etc.  There's also a bunch of newer technologies that are
vying to become the next popular standard, the most recent one being
Insteon from SmartHome, but X10 is still widely available - you can
still find modules at Radio Shack, Fry's Electronics and some Home
Depots.

Anyway, i got some spam from them this morning saying they are
offering their original kit for $30 as part of some kind of "Last day
of the month" sale.  Of course x10 is always having some kind of sale
but I do think this is a relatively inexpensive way to try out home
automation.  I don't know what kind of Linux support is available for
the newer controller but there's plenty for the CM11A controller which
comes with the original kit.

current sale at x10:                        http://www.x10.com/onsale/index.html
wikipedia articles about x10:          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X10
Linux home automation:                 http://www.linuxha.com/
heyu which i sometimes use:         http://heyu.tanj.com/
another popular package:              http://w3.misterhouse.com:81/
Insteon at smarthome:
http://www.smarthome.com/whatisinsteon.html

Oh, I should point out that any unsecured protocol such as x10 should
not be used to control access to your house or business.  However, I
do use it to control some of the lights at home.