[SGVLUG] 486s came with about 8 to 16Mb of RAM?...

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Thu May 25 16:14:33 PDT 2006

On 5/25/06, Brian Truong <brian at hostinc.net> wrote:
> My first 486 was a Packard Bell 486SX and it came with 4MB of RAM.

My first 486 had 1M of memory because I could not afford more and I
knew I could easily upgrade memory when I had more money. But I
believe the 486 had a 32bit address bus so it could theoretically
support 2GB of memory but of coarse at $50,000 per MB not many people
where building systems to support that much memory. I had at least one
486 with 64MB of memory.

Also I remember seeing like a 32way mainframe-ish system based on
486s, with 2GB of memory on ebay once.