[SGVLUG] Fw: [Re: Talk?]

juanslayton at dialup4less.com juanslayton at dialup4less.com
Fri May 19 22:09:28 PDT 2006

Michael Proctor-Smith wrote ..
> You know I maybe excommunicated for this but I really getting tired of
> all the but new people will not like subject X when people suggest
> advanced subjects.

     I guess I'm one of the new guys; worse, I'm not even a hacker, just a schoolteacher.  But mere ignorance never yet kept a teacher quiet, so let me comment.  I worked, by myself, on various personal Linux projects for several years.  I could have saved a lot of trouble by getting involved with a user group early on.  The value of the group is precisely that there are so many characters who are head-and-shoulders above me from whom I can get help.  It would _not_ be helpful to be gathering with other computationally challenged friends and pooling our ignorance.

     The usefulness of the group is not so much in getting complete explanations as in getting pointed in the right direction.  I can do the follow-up myself.  If there is anything unsettling about presentation that is over my head it is that I'm always taking and never able to give back.  But what I see so far is great; I hope you all keep on doing what you're doing.

     I wouldn't go for excommunication.  Much less for burning at the stake.

John