[SGVLUG] Fw: [Re: Talk?]

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Fri May 19 12:23:04 PDT 2006

> -----Original Message----- Of David Lawyer
>
> ... by giving a talk where you need to
> be a programmer to understand it, you will turn off new
> potential members who don't know programming.
[...]
>  But if it was say on Bash Scripting
> and it was clearly explained, then it would be OK since
> scripting is something that most Linux enthusiasts do (or
> should) know about.

Hmmm... Oddly enough, even though I'm a "programmer", I wouldn't know a
shell script if it came up and BASHed me in the face [I didn't just say
that, did I?  Must be time to eat -- feeling dizzy...]

But then, Haskell has an interpreter, and presuming it will work against
STDIN like other "iterpreted" languages [such as Perl], you could create
a "script" thusly:

   !#/usr/bin/hugs
   <haskell code here>

("hugs" is one variant of the haskell interpeter -- there are others...)

While I don't see an interpreter right off for [o]Caml, I'd imagine a
"bash" script of

   !#/usr/bin/bash
   /usr/bin/<caml-compiler>  <caml opts> <producing the "program" a.out>
<<EOF
   <caml code>
   EOF
   ./a.out <<EOF
   <input to the caml program you just "wrote">
   EOF
   rm a.out

Would do the trick...

So who's to say these aren't "shell script" langauages after all?