[SGVLUG] Linux based web-server appliance

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Thu May 18 20:57:22 PDT 2006

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 06:54:49PM -0700, Dustin Laurence wrote:
> It takes very little to run a website, though it depends on what you
> want to host.  If it is static HTML then you can probably buy an NSLU2
> for $100, install Linux, and pay very little in power as well.

Will the entire server run on NSLU2?  I read that there is a problem
with endiness and that byte-swapping is needed.  Someone has patched
the code, but will this support continue?  Endiness is whether
or not you put the most significant byte first (like we do when
writing out a number) or put it last.

> If you use an old PC you'll be paying a noticable power bill (for a
> home--for a school it might well be *way* below the noise).

It depends on how old.  My old 486 (held as a backup) is energy star
and claimed it was a "green" model and used under 30 watts, excluding
the monitor.

> If you want to run a Plone site, well, you can probably do it on a
> not-too-old desktop PC but not on a little nas device!

Supposedly, a Plone generated site can be made static.  But then why
use Plone?  I've got Plone on my old Pentium I PC but never used it.

			David Lawyer