[SGVLUG] Recruiting members

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Thu May 18 19:47:26 PDT 2006

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 05:08:35PM -0700, Joel Witherspoon wrote:
> Hay all,
>
> Has anyone approached the department heads at the local universities and
> colleges and other adult ed groups to publicize the LUG? Mt. SAC is always
> looking for people to take their courses on Linux, I'm sure they would get
> more people interested in the LUG. Tri-Community in Covina is looking to
> start a Linux lab. If we throw some bodies their way, they may pony up
> members as well.

I think Mt. Sac is a little too far away.  I once took a course at PCC
which was entitled "Unix Administration" but actually used Linux.
There were only perhaps 8 people in the class and I let them know
about the LUG.  No results.  The instructor told me a few times that
he expected to attend, but never showed up.

> Who does PR for the LUG?

I do publicity and others do also by notices at Caltech, etc.  But I
haven't done much lately, although yesterday I did something which
will be of little help.  I asked that the "Caltech Linux LUG" be
deleted from a Linux list of LUGs in S. California.  Its website is
dead and we're a substitute for it.  Now when people look at the list,
they will no longer see 2 LUGs in Pasadena since we have a monopoly
for this area.

This will only attract people who otherwise would have selected
Caltech and then given up in frustration when they find the Caltech
LUG is dead, without bothering to find us.  Perhaps good for a 1%
chance of getting 1 member :-).

Perhaps our best publicity was flyers passed our at the cdrom store on
S. Lake which were put next to the Linux CDs.  But they no longer
carry Linux CDs.  I once asked Borders bookstore on S. Lake if we
could do this in the Linux book section and they refused, telling me
to post the info on their bulletin board which is likely read by less
than 1% of the people visiting the store.  And even if they glance at
it, they might not find Linux.  So right now it's mostly the Internet
that serves for publicity.

The mailing list seems to be pretty active and in a sense,
participants on the list like me who seldom show up for meetings
should be counted as members.

I think it's important to always have a period of time, say 30 min.,
after a meeting, where people can talk to each other about Linux, etc.
Perhaps a meeting could have as a topic: How we use Linux?  Everyone
at the meeting would be asked to come forward and tell how they use
Linux including recent success, problems, etc., with questions
allowed.   This allows people to get to know each other better and
helps direct people to talk to others with related interests after the
meeting.
			David Lawyer