[SGVLUG] BBC documentary

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Sat May 13 09:58:56 PDT 2006

On Sat, May 13, 2006 at 09:00:41AM -0700, juanslayton at dialup4less.com wrote:
>      Just wondering if anyone has access to BBC World broadcasting?  They are airing a 2-part documentary on free and open-source software.  Reportedly they give it favorable treatment, including significant air time by Stallman.
>      There is a writeup at http://www.apdip.net/news/fossdoc
>      If I could get this on tape, I'd like to pass it around to a few school board members here in the valley.

And quoted from that writeup:

According to Jonathan Murray of Microsoft "The Open Source community
stimulates innovation in software, it's something that frankly we feel
very good about and it's something that we absolutely see as being a
partnership with Microsoft."

I guess now it's time to try the "embrace, extend, extinguish" strategy
and this is a try at the "embrace" phase? :-)

Some of the "related links" look interesting too.  The first one has
video in Ogg Theora, so the shoe is on the other foot for a change:

Note: For Linux/FOSS operating system - Theora encoded videos are
supported with the default media players.  For Windows - Ogg Direcshow
Codecs are required to play theora videos; or ffdshow to play mp4 videos
files.

Hah, ha. :-)

Dustin