[SGVLUG] How to manage DNS for DHCP-assigned clients?

Adam Compton comptona at gmail.com
Mon May 8 13:21:44 PDT 2006

Hello all,

I work at a small private school with ~200 client computers scattered
around the campus. They all receive dynamic IP addresses from the DHCP
server we have running.

The question I have is this: how would you all keep track of where a
given computer was on the network, so that it could be administered
remotely and programmatically? For instance, pushing out a new version
of a certain configuration file to each computer as soon as it comes on
the network, wherever it happens to be in IP-space. I've been given
advice to implement dynamic DNS with BIND and DHCP, but I do not control
the DHCP server, so I don't believe that is an option. What I'm really
looking for is descriptions of how other people have solved similar
problems, so I have an idea of what's possible for me to do in this realm.

Thanks everybody in advance for your help!

- Adam Compton