[SGVLUG] "congress out to gut the internet" -- migth actually be real (?)

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Wed May 3 15:26:06 PDT 2006

I got one of those wild-outrageous-claim chain-e-mails today that
actually has a "TRUE" rating from Snopes (will wonders never cease?)

The gist of it is that congress may pass legislation related to "net
neutrality" that some (many?) fear might make it difficult or impossible
to get a fair and balanced view of the world via the internet.  (like
that already happens?)

In any case, this hit slashdot this morning just before noon:

I'm still in "jury is out" mode on this -- I can't see how the ISP's can
actually do this, but it appears they are confident that they can.  I
agree with some slashdot posts that even if they could, it really isn't
a bright idea to go ahead and do it...

Tom Emerson
818-977-8828