[SGVLUG] NFS question

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Tue May 2 13:41:17 PDT 2006

After self administering my own Linux box for nearly a year, I finally
got my machine added to the list of hosts which may mount from the
Solaris NFS server for my project.  Rather than having to ssh to one
of the dev machines and running gvim which is displayed back on my
desktop, I'd prefer to do all the editing locally and possibly run
stuff locally as well (currently doing some Perl stuff right now).

However I've run into the problem that my userid on Linux and Solaris
don't match.  Fortunately there's no one with a userid of 500 so I'm
not likely to accidentally smash someone else's files by accident.   I
really don't want to have to change the userid on my Linux box because
then all my backups won't match.   Short of creating another user on
my local box with a userid of my Solaris account is anyone aware of
any program that will allow me to remap userid's?

In fact, there's a guy down the hall who has a windoze box and he uses
a program called NFS Maestro that comes with Exceed which apparently
lets him enter his UNIX username/password to access his Solaris home
directory.   I thought maybe they were running a samba server
somewhere but I can't find it.

claude