[SGVLUG] Dual video cards -- possible/supported?

juanslayton at dialup4less.com juanslayton at dialup4less.com
Thu Jun 29 14:28:08 PDT 2006

juanslayton at dialup4less.com wrote ..
> Emerson, Tom wrote ..
> >
> > I suppose in a truly perfect world, the cards would look like a single
> > card/device to the hardware, with one card handling the interface to
> the
> > computer (so the "driver" doesn't have to decide which device to send
> > vertex data to in the event the "triangle" the vertices define crosses
> > the mid-screen boundary) while the other card managed the
> > synchronization of the outputs.  Actually, now that I think about it,
> it
> > has to be this way -- you might send data that technically resides in
> > one half of the display, but then perform a transformation "in the card"
> > (for scaling, rotation, or whatever) that physically moves the vertex
> > the "other half" of the screen.

  A couple more thoughts.  In my xinerama installation there actually are two drivers (check it out in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, because I have two very different video cards.  One is an AGP card, the other not.  It seemed to work as advertised on Fedora Core 4 and Slackware 10, until the Fedora system crashed after several days.  I suppose a machine with two identical video cards that was designed for those applications would (hopefully) be more reliable.