[SGVLUG] Creating Large Ram disks

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 15:41:14 PDT 2006

On 6/17/06, Steve Bibayoff <bibayoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 6/17/06, Michael Proctor-Smith <mproctor13 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Anyone know the process for creating large ram disks greater then 16MB
> > I would like in the 200-500MB range.
>
> If you are talking about /dev/ram* , then you need to pass:
> ramdisk_size=
> to the kernel before booting (edit either lilo or grub)
>
> If you are talking about tmpfs, then
> mount -t tmpfs -o size=200M,nr_inodes=2k,mode=770 tmpfs /ramdisk

Thanks Steve do you know if tmpfs gets writen to disk? The Docs I
found said it goes in swap. I ask because I am debugging a program by
writing and erasing alot(read hundreds of thousands) of small
files(less then 15MB). And my laptops harddrive then died, so I want
to avoid any posiablity That Further testing will kill my new drive.