[SGVLUG] I can't send email (but now I can).

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Fri Jun 9 22:22:13 PDT 2006

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 07:38:48PM -0700, David Lawyer wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 12:43:27PM -0700, Dustin Laurence wrote:
>
> I was thinking about this from the README.Debian for exim4:
>
> 2.2.1. Exim 4 as TLS/SSL client
> 2.3.1. Using exim as SMTP-AUTH client

Ah, how confusing the language can be.  A program can be a client
without being suitable for running on the desktop.

> > No, it is for people who can manage server software.  Someone without
> > such skills is SOL no matter what computer they have and nobody is going
> > to try to make a MTA work for them.  Improve MUAs, perhaps.
>
> Not exactly.  The configuration program should be better and set up
> exim, etc. better.

If you care about this, apt-get postfix.  It's the most straightforward
real MTA I know of.  If that isn't good enough, write your own, because
nobody is trying to write an MTA that does what you want.

> much skill would be needed.  And a lot of people who can't afford to
> buy newer computers have the needed skills for this if only the
> documentation and configuration programs were better.

Write it, offer it to Debian.  It's free software, so you're free to
fill the void you personally care most about.

> high).  So I believe there is a huge, but mostly unrealized, market
> for installing Linux on old computers to be used as desktops, both in
> the US and elsewhere.

Computers several generations newer than a 486 sell for very little on
ebay, so there is your golden opportunity.

I agree to an extent, but documentation won't help that.

Dustin