[SGVLUG] I can't send email (but now I can).

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Wed Jun 7 19:02:42 PDT 2006

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 03:27:04PM -0700, David Lawyer wrote:

> So while mutt and exim is a nice mail system, it takes some computer
> savvy to keep it working.  And most desktop users wouldn't have the
> knowledge or the time to deal with such a problem.

This has nothing to do with Linux--neither mutt nor exim has any
intention of serving "desktop users," now or ever.  The *only* way a
"desktop" user is going to get mail access is IMAP or (ugh) POP to their
mail provider's server.  exim is designed essentially for that mail
provider's machine, not the end-user's.  mutt is designed for the
end-user's machine, but only one who is self-sufficient and *very*
computer savvy.

The fact that you are using it says something about your ability to set
up server software, not some end-user issue.

Dustin