[SGVLUG] Laptop memory question...

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Tue Jun 6 09:11:33 PDT 2006

> -----Original Message----- Of Bryan Backer
> --- Tom Emerson <osnut at pacbell.net> wrote:
[...]
> > quick check at Fry's shows that I can get 512 meg modules now (or,
> > rather, two for a total of 1 gig)
> >
> > BUT... the guys who sold the laptop are adamant that the
> laptop will
> > NOT support more than 512 meg -- "that is all it was designed for".
> > I'm thinking that may have been the case when they sold it, but
> > may have improved since then.
>
> I have had excellent luck with crucial.com ...

Hmmm... Unfortunately, their website confirms that 512 is the max for
this system (or, rather, for the "Dell Inspiron 5000 series", which is
what I understand this to actually be -- "an oem version" of one)

I'll have to keep an eye on how annoying it is to "occaisionally" not
start with all the memory (ok, more like "4 our ot 5 times...") and then
determine which upgrade path I want to follow: approx $90 for two memory
modules, or $1900 for a new machine... ;)  Of course, I should also
consider buying at least one new battery for this [gulp -- another $200
or so...] as the two I have now aren't doing that well [I'm getting
maybe 40 minutes to an hour's worth of battery time on these, but by the
same token, I'm almost never away from a power outlet...]