[SGVLUG] Conferences coming up, inc a FREE one in long beach

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 5 13:53:01 PDT 2006

Hi,

I just wanted to let everyone know that
there are a few interesting conferences
coming up,

including one in the LA area which is
FREE to qualified endusers. (the vendors
are footing the bill, looking for sales
leads.. )

I've listed some interesting ones below
matti

-----------

Storage World Conference in Long Beach, 6/20-22:

http://www.storageworldconference.com/longbeach

I've been there the last 2 years, and found
it to be useful.

Some sessions are very worthwhile, others
not so much, so please feel free to jump
to one which is of interest to you.

The conference is FREE if you qualify
(should be easy for any business/university
system admin.)

In the past that has included the conference
sessions, lunch, and even dinner one nite.

The only costs to you is parking and transportation.

-------

O Reilly has interesting conferences, ..

Where 2006
June 13-14 San Jose
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/where2006/

I have not yet been to this one..

-------

OScon - Open Source Conference
July 24-28 Portland, OR

Originally started out as the Perl Conference.
I've been to it a nubmer of times, and have
always found it to be worthwhile.

http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2006/

Expo is free, but it's small, so unless you've
got particular reasons to be there or it's
in your town, you probably want to be
certain you go to the conference as well.

-------

Black Hat - July 29 - Aug 3
http://www.blackhat.com/

I like this one much better than the defcon
conference they also put together. However,
this one is pricey compared to defcon.

checkout their media archive
http://www.blackhat.com/html/bh-media-archives/bh-multi-media-archives.html

-------

Defcon Aug 4-6
http://www.defcon.org/

interesting, but madness... heard it's
not as bad as it used to be..

-------

SIG Graph. San Diego Aug 8-9
http://www.siggraph.org/events/s2007/

-------

Linux World in San Francisco Aug 14-17
http://www.linuxworldexpo.com

expo pass is free
http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/live/12/register

---- notes ----

I like the usenix events, for the next
year it looks like there isn't much w/in
a drive to us here in LA.

http://www.usenix.org/events/