[SGVLUG] Laptop memory question...

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 12:30:35 PDT 2006

On 6/5/06, Steve Bibayoff <bibayoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 6/4/06, Michael Proctor-Smith <mproctor13 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It is not a chipset limitation. It has to do with that the
> > motherboard, and or bios. But it is a hardware limitation. Think about
> > it at the time "the PC OS" you know the one from Washington could not
> > support more then 512MB so there was no reason to spend the money to
> > build hardware that could support more then 512MB.  I have a 440BX
> > motherboard that can support 1.5GB.
>
> Are you sure? According to Intel's 440BX spec sheet:
> ftp://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/29063301.pdf
> this chipset will support "8 to 512 Mbytes or 1GB(with registered DIMMs)"

Well I used to use a system with dual celeron 450Mhz overclocked to
600Mhz with 768MB of ram. So I guess was doing a lot of things the
Intel said could not be done. Intel also said that the 440BX could
only run with 100Mhz FSB but there are lots of motherboards that would
run it with 133Mhz bus.

P.S. There is also the famous statement by Intel that a 486 will never
run at more then 100Mhz. Then the next month IBM "Blue Lightning" 486s
came out at 120Mhz, then AMD with 486s clocked at 120Mhz and 133Mhz.
Intel sometimes designes hardware to well for there marketing
department. They then want to push there new design and lie about the
capabilites of there old hardware. Examples are 90Mhz 486
outperforming 60Mhz Pentium, Fast P3s outperforming slow P4s. 440BX
chipset outperforming like the next 5 chipsets. That is just for
absolute performance let alone price/performace ratio!