[SGVLUG] Not directly linux related, but...

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Fri Jun 2 15:12:41 PDT 2006

...perhaps of interest to a few people around here ;)

[disclaimer, though: it's promotional crap for Warner Brothers -- take
it for what it's worth...]

Every Friday I get a couple of mass e-mail's here at work about warner
brothers and time/warner in general.  ["headlines in the news" type
stuff]  The ones that caught my attention that might be of interest to
folks on this list are:

  -- WHV AND AMAZON.COM LAUNCH DVD DECISION 2006
[my synopsis of it]: Basically, a joint venture between the companies to
get consumer input on which 10 out of 30 or so less-well-known movies to
produce on DVD in the september timeframe ["voting" between now and the
end of the month, pre-orders in early august]  While the newsletter
didn't have a direct link, I found this via google which gets you to the
goods:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=61680

Why bring this up at all?  Well, this is a chance to be a squeaky wheel
(something that seems pretty common among Linux fans...)

  -- WBHEG PARTNERS WITH CINEMANOW TO OFFER DIGITAL FILM, TV CONTENT
[my take]: yeah, this is the big one digital rigths fans --
download-to-own movies (and TV shows!)  While I don't (personally) know
the methods employed, it's an easy guess this will be "windows/apple"
only...

  -- WHV ACQUIRES WORLDWIDE RIGHTS TO RIDLEY SCOTT'S "BLADE RUNNER"
[my notes as well]: on the dvdtimes site, there was a comment from
someone to the effect of "I'd rather see Blade Runner released instead
of this crap" -- followed by half a dozen "you don't have to whine about
it -- it's already in play..."  Look for a remastered version in
september, and a special-edition set early next year (hey, it's all
about the electric sheep, OK?)

Tom Emerson
818-977-8828