[SGVLUG] Got fat pipes? Vmware server is FREE

Jeremy Leader jleader at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Jul 28 17:45:07 PDT 2006

on 07/28/2006 03:09 PM Emerson, Tom  wrote (in part):
> http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/
>
> Basically, these are pre-configured instances of "some application"
> that will run on "any standard x86 desktop or server" -- I'm not sure if
> that means it takes over the entire machine (like a "Live-CD") or if it
> can run under a "foreign" OS as an independent self-contained unit.

They run as independent self-contained units, they don't take over the
entire machine.  I believe each of those "appliances" is just a VMWare
disk image with a bunch of stuff pre-installed.

For example, on my RedHat box at work, I currently have 2 VMWare
"players" running, with two different versions of FreeBSD.  It's very
handy for testing stuff under different OSs, though there's a slight
performance overhead, and of course they're all sharing the same CPU.

--
Jeremy Leader
jleader at alumni.caltech.edu (home)