[SGVLUG] Should we use biofuels? Was ...Tom & his Prius....

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Sat Jul 22 06:55:35 PDT 2006

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 03:29:06PM -0700, David Lawyer wrote:

> switchgrass.  David Pimentel, a professor at Cornell, has analyzed the
> energy costs of producing ethanol and biodiesel and claims that it
> takes more energy to produce than is returned when you burn it as a
> fuel.  This like trying to recover oil from a depleted oil field where

While looking for something else, I did find the reason I pay little
attention to Pimentel and his lonely crusade against the energy balance
of alcohol fuels (and apparently sometimes biodiesel, which is quite
insane).  It's not particularly ethical to leave questionable research
unchallenged, but this thread is more or less dead so I'm simply going
to give a link to a listing of many other studies that always seem to
contradict his position:

http://www.journeytoforever.org/ethanol_energy.html

Dustin