[SGVLUG] Linux Class

Tom Emerson osnut at pacbell.net
Sun Jul 16 22:22:12 PDT 2006

David Lawyer wrote:
> In ... the Textbook in: 14.2 Computer Networks and Internetworking it
> reads: "When two or more computer hardware resources (computers,
> printers, scanners, plotters, etc.) are connected, they form a computer
> network."  This is wrong, but what it right?

Hmmm... per wikipedia at
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_networking:

     "Computer networking is the scientific and engineering discipline
concerned with communication between computer systems. Such networks
involves at least two computers, which can be separated by a few
centimeters (e.g. via Bluetooth) or thousands of kilometers (e.g. via
the Internet). Computer networking is sometimes considered a
sub-discipline of telecommunications."

...at least TWO computers -- that fits the textbook definition of "TWO
or more", so I'd say the textbook is "right".

of course, this begs the question as to whether or not the author of the
above page on wikipedia is "correct" or not as well, but it's a wiki --
go ahead and "correct" the page as you see fit...

> of a network has to be fuzzy.  If I connect 2 PC's together using a
> network protocol, then it's a network in a sense, since it uses a
> network protocol.

oh, wait, you're admitting the book is right, but still somehow
insisting it's wrong -- please clarify

> But I think that two devices connected together
> point-to-point isn't a network unless the point-to-point connection
> is part of a larger network (like PPP on the phone line to connect to
> the internet via an ISP).

ok, that's a clarification.  it is overly rigorous, which gives me the
impression you are confusing The Internet (with a capitol I) with a more
general "network" of computers. ("The Internet" proper refers to he
world-wide interconnection of public and private networks, while the
term "an internet" refers to the more general case of two [or more]
disparate networks connected by some common gateway or hub; and "an
intranet" typically refers to two or more private networks within one
organization.)

> So what is a network?  3 or more devices connected together, not on a
> bus, and using a network protocol of some type (including ethernet).
> Am I right?

For more definitions, type the search term "define:network" into
google's search box...

Or, in deference to our last speaker, you could try Yahoo's community of
people willing to give any sort of answer to any sort of question
(limited to 110 chars, so be brief...)

http://answers.yahoo.com/

or even "network definition" in the yahoo search box (which returned
sponsored ads of "looking for network definition?| (ebay), "100% online
degrees" (some online school), "free reference mutation definitions"
(some site I've never heard of), two more schools selling diplomas, an
ad from Dish Network (TV), a whitepaper on network security from a page
that from the name of the site looks to be search results... (a
search-spammer?), and finally a site offering ringtones)

- --
Top o' the Blog: It's good to be the King...
http://osnut.homelinux.net/mtblog/ya_index.html