[SGVLUG] [OT] Especially for Tom & his Prius.... [my rebuttal, then I'll shut up]

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Fri Jul 14 18:50:55 PDT 2006

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 10:53:01AM -0700, Dustin Laurence wrote:
> That isn't a position he can seriously defend from evidence anyway,
> because it's quite wrong.  Diesels have *really* developed since the
> '80s.  Stunningly so.  There seems to be more untapped development
> potential there than in spark ignition.

I didn't say that Diesels were about equally efficient.  I qualified
this by comparing the two when there are minimal pumping losses in the
gasoline engine.  This isn't very often in the current environment.
Thus at part load for a given rpm, a diesel is more efficient, unless
one employs some tricks to significantly reduce gasoline engine
pumping losses such as "pulse and glide" driving.

			David Lawyer