[SGVLUG] Especially for Tom & his Prius....

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 11:40:59 PDT 2006

On 7/13/06, Steve Bibayoff <bibayoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 7/13/06, David Lawyer <dave at lafn.org> wrote:
>
> > So there is in progress a convergence of gasoline and diesel engines
> > where the gasoline engine is becoming more like a diesel.
>
> The diesel cycle is inherently more efficient then the Otto cycle(4
> stroke, gasoline engine). Whatever you do to make the gasoline engine
> more efficient, you probably could do to the diesel engine.
Exactly.
But David contenues to argue on very old effecency curves and crazy
pulse driving system.
Just because I will contenue to try and change Davids mind. I went to
http://www.fueleconomy.gov and checked to fuel economy ratings for a
car that comes in both gas and diesel. Namely 2001 Volkswagen Golf.
The TDI gets 42 city, 49 highway, the gas gets 24city, 31highway. So
the TDI is approximently 60% more effecient. Plus the real world user
numbers are even better then the offical numbers.