[SGVLUG] [OT] Especially for Tom & his Prius.... [my rebuttal, then I'll shut up]

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 10:48:20 PDT 2006

On 7/12/06, James Neff <jneff at tethyshealth.com> wrote:
> By contrast, I think we could build a turbodiesel hybrid within
>
> >something like the normal automobile development cycle and have a high
> >expectation that it will succeed.  Right now maybe it's not *quite*
> >at that point in that no one manufacturer may quite have the right
> >technology (i.e. might need the electric system from Toyota and/or Honda
> >and the diesel from DaimlerChrysler) but close enough to make it work.
> >Either of those Japanese companies could do it if they had to, VW maybe
> >but I fear their unfamiliarity with the hybrid drive might make it more
> >difficult for them.
> >
> >If we allow unusual time or expenditure, *any* of the big international
> >companies could do it.  You just can't say that about electric or fuel
> >cell for an affordable and livable car.
> >
> >Dustin
> >

> I found this on GM's website.  They mentioned in the article that they
> choose a diesel hybrid because it seems more marketable in Europe.  Does
> Europe have more demand for diesel than the US?  If so, I wonder why?  I
> know Europe has higher standards on diesel fuel than the US did but I
> think the new ULS should bring us in line with them.  Maybe by the end
> of 2006 the will see more of these kinds of cars aimed at the US.

Yes every else in the world likes diesel more then the US. Audi cliams
that over 50% of the cars they sell world wide are diesel. When you
take into account that they sell very few to none in the US. That will
tell you the popularity of diesel in the rest of the world. Plus in
Europe bio-diesel is cheaper then gas, and widely available.