[SGVLUG] Twenty-four hours of Linux...

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Tue Jul 11 13:05:44 PDT 2006

> -----Original Message----- Of Dustin Laurence
> On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 10:30:30AM -0700, Michael Proctor-Smith wrote:
> >
> > I love that I actually know someone else that reads that web site.
>
> I don't--I found it while researching TDI diesels [...]
> Le Mans has always been my favorite race, [...]

> Too bad we didn't think of this earlier--we could have had an
> SGVLUG party at someone's house to watch on cable (I assume
> it was televised on cable).  Oh, wait, it's the TWENTY-FOUR
> HOURS of Le Mans.... :-)

So?  Around here, throw the word "LAN" in front of "PARTY", and I'm sure
folks would hang out for the entire day (some might even watch the
race...)  You could probably even have one computer set to
capture/re-stream it locally, then everyone could watch from their own
monitor...

Hmmm... I did not realize this was "more than just one race" [like, say,
the indy 500]  It looks like there are a few upcoming races, maybe we
can arrange for one...

http://www.lemans.org/sport/sport/calendrier/calendrier_lemans_gb.html

[of course, provided it is televised and/or webcast...]

And for a complete aside, it seems someone is making a buttload of money
on this, and it ain't the teams (directly) -- if I'm reading the rules
right, the entry fee is either 29,000 or 34,000 euros, and first place
is only 40,000 euros (from which they deduct 15% from foreigners for
"tax" purposes)  [yeah, "do the math..."]