[SGVLUG] Four Tips To Avoid Open Source Legal Problems

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Fri Jul 7 13:55:30 PDT 2006

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 01:51:58PM -0700, Dustin Laurence wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 01:37:22PM -0700, Jeremy Leader wrote:
>
> > Lots of companies probably have lots of code that was written by
> > programmers who aren't at the company any more, or was written by
> > contractors.
>
> I wouldn't bet ten cents on the lack of copyright violations in any
> proprietary product.  I doubt it is uncommon.

Just to clarify--I was speaking generally.  The specific case cited
shouldn't be a problem, since any company whose employment contract
doesn't give them the rights to the code you wrote on the clock is too
stupid to be in business anyway.  It's more likely that they try to
steal code you wrote on your own time than that.

DUstin