[SGVLUG] Really good example of really bad e-mail (was: San Gabriel Valley...(DevSIG) monthly meeting)

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Mon Jul 3 02:11:48 PDT 2006

On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 01:52:08AM -0700, Tom Emerson wrote:

> Did you notice the one link in the "external references" that really
> sums things up?  It was entitled:
>
> [snippage]
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/alt.nl.penvrienden/msg/9bf2a40083469afe

Yeah, that's pretty great.

Generally I think it's worth being pretty tolerant about quoting style
on a LUG list, because we have to expect new Linux users have had their
brains damaged by Microsoft mail tools. :-)  But eventually it's worth
learning how to Do The Right Thing, because hopefully you'll want to
stick around long enough to join the kinds of lists that spank you
really hard for top-posting, never trimming quotes, etc.

BTW, there was a thread about quoting style on another list that
degenerated into some, ah, *interesting* quoting styles.  Including

            > - --
Left        > Top o' the Blog: It's good to be the King...
quoting     > h                linux.net/mtblog/ya_index.html
            > -   and center   GNATURE-----
            > V   quoting      .4.3 (MingW32)
            > C                uPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
            >
            > iD8DBQFEqNq4V/YHUqq2SwsRArhQAJ4mMavY7W3GrG9F324b67fzQlDQNQCgoHqp

:-)

Dustin