[SGVLUG] off topic - hardware question

jmd jmd8800 at charter.net
Fri Jan 27 15:03:37 PST 2006

On Jan 27, 2006, at 1:41 PM, Emerson, Tom wrote:

> Which of course brings me to my point above about Linux -- how
> often do you /really/ need 50+ read speeds?  Most of the disks I
> use are installation disks, and are read once to copy the program
> to the hard drive.  Since I'm in a "take my time" frame of mind
> anyway, a slower read speed isn't going to upset me -- 8x should be
> fine, and if there is "too much" data to consider reading at 8x, it
> should be on a DVD anyway (which already reads faster to begin with
> -- roughly 9x according to one site I checked)

in all 3 of these cases, the task at hand did not require
exceptionally high  speed. any older 8x dvd could have done the job
probably. all 3 times the drive was reading something, not writing to
disk. but, how many 1 or 2 year old dvdrw dual layer drives do you
see at frys?

> In any case, with access to the driver code, it would (should?) be
> a simple matter to put a "speed limit" in to ensure the disk is
> never rotated faster than, say, 15,000 rpm...

this is really where my question comes about. and the idea of a dirty
lense fits. i see no reason for a high speed drive to spin any faster
than is necessary than to deliver the required data. if i pop in a
dvd to watch a movie why would this drive spin as fast as possible
when 4 or 8x will do. i will look for a speed limit in his dvd apps.

jeff