[SGVLUG] Re: graphics mode, Really about MythTV

Don Saxton dsaxton at pacbell.net
Tue Jan 24 21:51:59 PST 2006

Michael Proctor-Smith wrote:

>On 1/24/06, Don Saxton <dsaxton at pacbell.net> wrote:
>

>>I got some experience finding a text terminal and I can report some sad
>>news.  But first the good news! After several tries I got a modeline
>>that works on my 2405fpw monitor and MSI version of the nvidia 6600.  I
>>have the impression that there must be a range of modeline parameters
>>that will work. I don't think my solution is optimal, but in the range
>>of ok.  I  am guessing that the xvidtune might help to spruce it up.
>>One of my requirements is to use this great 1920x1200 to view hdtv at
>>1920x1080 and 1280x720, So I think I need three modelines. I have
>>mplayer playing the atsc stream from /dev/dvb/apapter0/dvr0 which has
>>been tuned by azap, so I am someplace on the map. Concommitant problems:
>>lircd won't start (serial ir device and serial driver loads)
>>

>Stupid question do you have a lircd.conf file in the right
>location(that is the step I forgot last time).

bingo

>> don't know if the 6600 is accelerating mpeg2
>>

>If the binary Nvidia drivers are loaded then you are getting some
>acceleration (my 2.6Ghz dual xeon system would not play hdtv smoothly
>with the open source nv drivers), There is another level of hardware
>mpeg acceleration, with video quality loss.

nvidea loaded, but I don't understand. The mpeg2 stream is really
delivered directly to the graphics card?

>>(could that be addressed in the dvb drivers?),
>>

>Which card do you have? Unless there is a atsc out there that has a
>hardware mpeg2 decoder the dvb drivers have nothing to do with
>playback.

Ok, so the stream from /dev/dvb/adaptor0/dvr0 is piped directly to the
6600. amazing. means for software decode, the decoder is a filter
between the two, true? I guess I was thinking that I had to manually
stick the hardware accellerater in like I would a software one.

>> and my alsa config is for sure not right (sound stream
>>frequently crashs mplayer on a 2.8ghz machine).
>>

>Sound is my biggest problem right now with hdtv and mythtv right now.
>If I have the signal quality to get a program some times the audio
>will just quits and I have beautiful video with no sound. Xine crashes
>are probably not a alsa config problem. I have not used xine to
>playback hdtv but are you using xine from fedora, xine from xinehq, or
>xine-hd. What cpu are you using AMD or Intel

intel p4 running at 2.8ghz.  I had a brief success with xine from yum
and haven't got back to it. xine-hd had problems compiling even with
gcc32. From mplayer -ao alsa /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 I get complaints
that none of the vidx work (although I see video) and something like the
sound buffer is backing up (burp). actually mplayer crashes with an
intermitent selection of problems. My guess is that syncing the two is a
problem if one is choking. I need to read more on alsa config.  I pasted
the messages below.

>>my goal is to solve
>>enough problems to get mythtv to crank up. Having fun, just my progress
>>has so far been a bit soggy.
>>

>Willing to help as I am still trying to find time to make my setup reliable.

Ok thanks. I think my problem with myth is that I am using dvb drivers
and am reading too many european solutions. I tell myth that the device
is /dev/dvb and instead of telling it I have a pchdtv, I tell it it is a
dvb device. one or both of those has got to be wrong.  I have a tough
time unscrambling the dvb-t and atsc stories.

from mplayer on one crash:
           **** Your system is too SLOW to play this!  ****

Possible reasons, problems, workarounds:
- Most common: broken/buggy _audio_ driver
  - Try -ao sdl or use the OSS emulation of ALSA.
  - Experiment with different values for -autosync, 30 is a good start.
- Slow video output
  - Try a different -vo driver (-vo help for a list) or try -framedrop!
- Slow CPU
  - Don't try to play a big DVD/DivX on a slow CPU! Try -hardframedrop.
- Broken file
  - Try various combinations of -nobps -ni -forceidx -mc 0.
- Slow media (NFS/SMB mounts, DVD, VCD etc)
  - Try -cache 8192.
- Are you using -cache to play a non-interleaved AVI file?
  - Try -nocache.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/video.html for tuning/speedup tips.
If none of this helps you, read DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html.

A:90783.7 V:90779.6 A-V:  4.155 ct:  0.663 601/601 38%  3% 103.2% 576 0
Too many video packets in the buffer: (292 in 8405371 bytes).
Maybe you are playing a non-interleaved stream/file or the codec failed?
For AVI files, try to force non-interleaved mode with the -ni option.
a52: CRC check failed!
a52: error at resampling
alsa-space: xrun of at least 0.113 msecs. resetting stream 99.8% 576 0
A:90784.1 V:90784.5 A-V: -0.369 ct:  1.074 894/894 41%  4% 69.4% 576 0
alsa-uninit: pcm closed