[SGVLUG] FC4 -- how to stop boot into graphics mode

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Tue Jan 24 15:12:47 PST 2006

Ummmm.... old, outdated webpages?

Honestly, I cannot find the exact reference I [>ahem< "recently"] saw that recommended sync, but even then, I recall it was "suggested" as a just-in-case measure and not promoted as a "you MUST do this EVERY time" type edict.

In searching for it now, I see mention of doing sync twice in a row -- the first "sync" may return control to the terminal even though it isn't done, in which case the second sync won't start until the first finishes (and presumably it will stop almost immediately as there shouldn't be much that changed in the interim...), however another page indicated this was "how it USED to be done, and isn't strictly neccessary anymore".

One page suggested sync's before a shutdown to guard against a failure DURING the shutdown, and yet another page pointed out that there is a background daemon that runs sync every 30 seconds anyway...

In short, do what you think best :)