[SGVLUG] FC4 -- how to stop boot into graphics mode

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Sat Jan 21 08:34:53 PST 2006

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, Jeff Keys wrote:

> Now press "b" to boot to runlevel 1.

I think 's' for single is the preferred parameter, is it not?

Also, genuine SysV bootscripts have an 'e' for emergency mode which is far
more minimal than single (it mounts / read-only and starts just enough to
get a command line, so you have to remount root rw before you can change
anything).  I don't recommend it here or for typical problems, but
occasionally you really want to know it is there.

It works in Debian, I'd guess probably works in FC.  It *doesn't* work in
Gentoo, which does not use genuine SysV bootscripts.  Maybe not in Slack
either, since Slack uses a hybrid sort of init.

Dustin