[SGVLUG] Outside Inquiries about SGVLUG

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 19 19:37:20 PST 2006

--- serross at ix.netcom.com wrote:

> There seems to be some conflict. The VMWare presentation that I have
> set up for next week will be on their products and how they can
> benifet us. Venders should be incouraged to show us products that we
> might be able to use. No, I don't mean the sales presentation (and
> most vendors know that). I want to be exposed to hardware and
> software that I.m not using now. If I know whats out there then I can
> provide an educated evaluation as to what would best suit my clients
> and their business.
>
> Am I wrong??

Hi,

Well, it depends on how the presentation is done,
and how interactive it is with the group.

Something like VMware should be very useful,
and some may say very important from an enterprise view.

Especially for those of us having to only have
ONE desktop system and yet needing to run
both linux and ms windows applications/oses.

also, if the presentation is done properly
from a technical point of view - we should also
learn about principles with virtual machines
which can apply to all other products in this
space.

naturally sometimes a good technical presentation
is close to a sales pitch if its a good product.
(hey - I gotta have one of those)

In this case, I am hoping that the presentor
will be able to get us some free licenses for
VMware.

While it isn't opensource, it can be very
valued for places where one must run MS Office
on a linux workstation.

And yes - personally I think everyone here
should understand howto set it up and what
it can and can not do.

best
matti