[SGVLUG] Any budding writers?

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Mon Jan 9 18:28:57 PST 2006

Hi all,
Anyone here looking to get published?

My editor, Tony Mobily, at Free Software Magazine is looking
for people interested in writing about free software,
particularly, articles for Linux newbies. You'll note
thought that it is a "free software" magazine, not a "linux
magazine", so any free software on any platform is fair
game.

The catch is that the pay is not terrific, nor very liquid
-- the current deal at FSM is that four book publishers
(O'Reilly, No Starch, Apress, and Prentice Hall) have agreed
to donate one book per article for authors who publish (up
to a $100 limit).  Prentice Hall is pretty exciting,
IMHO, because they have a wide-ranging catalog, and you
aren't restricted to computer books.

An added benefit is that articles for FSM are free-licensed,
and you retain copyright (well, that is, you retain
copyright, but must free-license them).

Anyway, I've been writing for them for sometime now, and the
magazine is just turning one year old. They are struggling a
bit (which is the reason for the weird "pay me in books"
deal), but they are hoping to expand later this year (at
least, I'm keeping fingers crossed).

It is a pretty easy way to pay for expensive tech books if
you are strapped for cash, too. ;-)

More info is at:

http://freesoftwaremagazine.com

and particularly at:

http://blog.freesoftwaremagazine.com/index.php/2006/01/09/entry_level_articles_for_free_software_m_1

Anyway, sorry if this is too off-topic, but I thought it
might interest some of you all at SGVLUG.  Just about
anything that would've done for a meeting presentation would
serve as an article, IMHO.

Cheers,
Terry